Here are the nine reports of police misconduct tracked for Monday, April 24, 2017:
- Rochester, New York: An officer was suspended after a facebook post claimed and body cam evidence confirmed he choked a handcuffed detainee. ow.ly/PhIo30b6oU7
- Update: Dallas, Texas (First reported 12/1/13): A now-former officer was acquitted of criminally negligent homicide for striking cyclist while in pursuit. The officer ran him over and cuffed him and allegedly waited several minutes before calling EMS. The cyclist died of his injuries before getting to the hospital. The officer was fired and the cyclist’s family received $1,200,000 from a lawsuit against the City. ow.ly/4SM230b6pof
- Update: Crockett County, Tennessee (First reported 2/23/17): A now-former deputy pled guilty to cocaine distribution and firearms possession for running protection for the Gangster Disciples. As part of the plea, he will be unable to appeal his sentence. ow.ly/e12630b72zP
New York, New York: Three incidents came from one report: ow.ly/nGRq30b7itL
- One officer was arrested after he punched a friend while he was off-duty.
- One detective was arrested for a minor DWI crash.
- One officer was arrested for a DWI crash that sent another car into a pole, seriously injuring three people. Since the story was first published, 22-year-old Vanessa Raghubar, who was driving the car the officer hit, succumbed to her injuries. There is no word yet, but amended charges stemming from her death seem likely. http://bit.ly/2q3Jh48
- Update: Dallas, Texas (First reported 4/21/17): A second officer has been arrested on burglary charges for an October ’16 incident involving the home of the first arrested officer’s estranged wife. ow.ly/BlaS30b7jrg
- Rockaway Township, New Jersey: An officer was charged with sexual assault and child endangerment for having sexual contact with and giving drugs to teens. ow.ly/reQz30b7kka
- Update: Irwindale, California (First reported 6/13/14): The City will pay the victim of year-long molestation while she was a teen in the department’s Explorer program $2,750,000. The now-former officer who abused her during that time was convicted and sentenced to 32 months in prison. ow.ly/td6d30b7xkX